Love Your Neighbor
For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
- Galatians 5:14
What if Jesus' command to love our neighbors meant loving our actual neighbors? Not as a project, but as a lifestyle? Here are some practical ways you can reach your neighbors.
1. Host a block party.
- Connect with several neighbors to
host a block party.
- For planning and creative ideas, click here.
2. Give a welcome oR gift bag.
- Get a Good Neighbor bag at the
Neighbor Display in the atrium.
- Customize a gift bag for your neighbor.
- Give a welcome-to-the neighborhood
3. Offer service or help.
- Cut their lawn.
- Shovel snow from their driveway or
- Offer child care.
- Help with a DIY project.
- Offer your home improvement skills.
4. Invite in or out to eat.
- Have a cookout or a pizza party.
- Invite them to a favorite restaurant.
5. Do a random act of kindness.
- Visit an elderly person.
- Run an errand for them.
- Have a free lemonade stand.
- Rake their leaves.
- Help them move in.
- Sincerely pray for your neighbors.
6. Make the most of holidays.
Choose a holiday or two and give a
gift, have a party, invite them to an
event, or do something together.
- January - New Year's Day, MLK Day
- February - Groundhog Day, Valentine's
Day, Presidents Day
- March - St Patrick’s Day, Spring Break
- April - Good Friday, Easter
- May - May Day, Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s
Day, Memorial Day
- June - Flag Day, Father’s Day
- July - Independence Day
- August - Iowa State Fair
- September - Labor Day, Patriot Day
- October - Columbus Day, Halloween
- November - Veterans Day, Thanksgiving
- December - Christmas, New Year’s Eve
7. Serve the community together.
- Plan a neighborhood service project.
- Volunteer together for a worthy
8. Plan a gathering or OUTING.
- Go on a neighborhood bike ride.
- Have a popsicle meet-and-greet.
- Go Christmas caroling.
- Host an outdoor movie night.
9. Reach out with food.
- Host a neighborhood ice cream social
or ice cream sundae bar.
- Deliver some cookies or pie or popcorn.
- Have a pancake feed.
- Share vegetables from your garden.
10. Get creative and unique.
- Create a list of the birthdays and anniversaries
of your neighbors. Help
celebrate with a gift or card.
- Watch a TV sporting event together.
- Host a fun tournament of some kind.
- Have a game night.
- Offer a photo shoot session.
- Start a neighborhood Facebook
group. Engage on social media.
- Organize a book club or a Life Group
for those interested.
11. Valley Community Center
Check out some fantastic additional resources:
The Art of Neighboring is a great book that spells out practical steps toward reaching your neighbors in relevant ways. Order your copy today!
Learn more about neighboring by watching the message from Vision Weekend!